18 September 2012

Taco Stuffed Squash

Over the last few years, I have discovered that I really like yellow squash. My mom had a pretty sizable garden for a number of years while I was younger. For a few summers, I remember growing all kinds of corn, tomatoes, and peppers and we would set up a little table at the end of the driveway and sell to the neighbors. I don't think we ever got rich off of it but it was a nice way to get rid of extras and make a few dollars for mom and dad's hard work.

Anyway...Mom was always growing and preparing zucchini and I always liked it. I still do. But I really think these days if I have to choose between yellow squash and zucchini as a cooked vegetable, I'll go with the yellow squash any day!

I stopped at a local farmers market a few weeks ago (ok...maybe a month and a half ago but its all the same the way this summer flew by). I picked up a handful of zucchini and yellow squash, red bell peppers and green onions for an idea that I had.

I also have a fond place in my heart for anything mexican, especially tacos.  I just love tacos!! Well...trying to slim down, eating tacos doesn't really fit into the dinner scenario much. So I wanted to try something that I thought would be good.

Well the result was a pretty awesome and healthy dinner and I wanted to share it with you!!! I will update the post next time I make these with a step by step picture guide because I realize explaining it might be a bit confusing for a step or two. In the meantime, go support your local farms by grabbing these ingredients and have a new twist on tacos!!! I mean it...GO NOW!!!


Taco Stuffed Squash (or Zucchini)


2 - Medium to Large size Yellow Squash or Zucchini, washed
1/2 Medium sized Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1/2 Medium sized Green Bell Pepper, chopped
2 Green onions, chopped (seperate white and green parts)
1/2 Cup Red Onion, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced

3/4 Pound of Ground Turkey (or beef if you'd like)
3 Tablespoons of Taco Seasoning (more or less to taste)

1 Cup Shredded Cheese (I used reduce fat Mexican blend)
Sour Cream (for garnish)
Cilantro (for garnish)


(recipe makes 4 stuffed boats)
1) Preheat oven to 400 Degrees.
2) Spray a tad bit of Olive Oil in a medium skillet set to medium heat. Saute bell peppers and onions for 3-4 minutes. Add in the white part of the green onion and garlic. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.

3) Add in the ground meat to your veggies in the pan. Add the taco seasoning to the meat and stir. cook until meat is thoroughly cooked.
4) While your meat is cooking, cut your squash in half long ways. (To create two 'boats'). Take a spoon and spoon out the insides of the squash. (I will post pictures of this part to clear up confusion). If you'd like you can chopped up the scooped out part and add it to your meat mixture. If not, throw it away.
5) Once your meat is cooked, remove from heat. Place the squash on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with olive oil. Sprinkle the hollowed-out squash with just a tad of salt and pepper. Spoon meat mixture into each squash boat. You'll want to make them heap a little because it will settle in the oven.
6) Cook in the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pull them out, top them with  cheese mixture and cook to melt the cheese. I have found that if you're using zucchini it tends to cook faster. Reduce cook time by 2 minutes (or keep an eye on them so they dont get soogy)
7) Garnish them with the green part of the green onion, sour cream and cilantro. I like to add a dash or two of my favorite hot sauce too to give it a kick.

This recipe may seem intimidating but its SO easy and is VERY tasty!!!!


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment