14 September 2012

Bacon and Guacamole Grilled Cheese

Being that I have an almost 4 year old daughter, grilled cheese is usually a fall back dinner idea when I'm crunched for time or if I am making something she won't eat (or that I don't want to share). And each time I make it it looks so good but is a definite let down everytime I take a bite. It's just not .... delicious. Its just not a party on my taste buds. And it leaves me wanting more each time.

I saw a post somewhere that sparked an idea in me. I love guacamole, I love bacon and I LOOOOVEEE cheese. So...I got to cooking. And I hit a home run with this one!! I hope you enjoy!!

**A few notes - you want your cheese and Guac at room temperature to help the cheese melt without burning the bread. And this is MESSY but oh so worth it**

Bacon and Guacamole Grilled Cheese


1 Loaf Gourmet Bread (sourdough or a harder italian work great. I had a Rosemary Olive Oil loaf)
Bacon (I prefer thick sliced)
Sharp Cheddar Cheese Slices (or shredded works too)
Pepper Jack Cheese (shredded or sliced)
Guacamole (recipe below)
Butter Spread


Guacamole Recipe:
3-4 Haas Avacados
1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 Medium Sized Jalepeno, finely diced
1 Bunch of Cilantro (you can add to your taste preference), roughly chopped
Lime
Lemon
Sea Salt, to taste

1) Cut the avacados open and core them. Spoon them into a medium sized mixing bowl.
2) Add in the red onion, jalepeno and cilantro to the bowl of avacado.
3) The lime to lemon ratio is KEY. You want to stick to a 3:1 ratio (lime:lemon). You want to add enough to the avacado to moisten it but not over liquify it. Add very little and keep adding until it feels right. Mix lightly with a fork. You don't want to overwork the avacado. I prefer my Guac a little chunky but not too chunky. And it should be damp but not wet.
4) Season with sea salt to taste. I use a grinder and usually make 3-4 passes with the grinder to get it to where I like it.


To assemble the deliciousness that is the bacon and guacamole grilled cheese...

1) Cook bacon in a frying pan until done to your likeness.
2) Slice the loaf of bread into semi thick slices (about 1/3 of an inch wide)
3) Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread.
4) Place one slice, butter side down, in a frying pan set to medium to medium-high heat. Lay down a slice of cheddar cheese. Spread guacamole ontop of cheese then lay down a few slices of bacon. Then top with the Pepper Jack Cheese then put the other slice of bread on top, butter side up. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until browned, then flip. I layer it like this because the cheese is a good 'glue' to hold it together.


I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!!! The flavor combination together is AMAZING!

0 comments:

Post a Comment