13 August 2013

Zucchini and Rice Skillet

Way back when I first stumbled upon the Pinterest world, I pinned a recipe that sparked some interest to me. Funny how when I look through all of my pins, how many of the food items I have yet to try.


This past week, I decided that I was going to add this into the mix. I changed up the originally recipe a bit because I was afraid that the original was going to lack a little flavor and would leave the stomach still wanting more. 

Our little family really enjoyed this dish. I especially liked that it was a one pot meal which meant less dishes for me!! It's really a win-win. I hope you enjoy it. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Zucchini, Beans and Beef Skillet

photo courtesy of this blog

1/2 pound beef
1 1/2 c. sliced zucchini, washed and cut in quarters
1/2 c. green bell pepper
1/2 c. red bell pepper
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 - 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes, diced (I used the kind seasoned with garlic) UNDRAINED
3/4 c. water
1 c . instant brown rice, uncooked
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

1) In a skillet on medium-high heat, dropped your ground beef into medium sized chunks and cook until cooked through.
2) Drain most of the grease (reserving 1-2 T of drippings in the pan) and add in onions, bell peppers, zucchini and garlic. Cook until veggies are a bit soft (just about 5 minutes).
3) Add beans, undrained tomatoes and water and turn heat on high and bring to a boil.
4) Add in uncooked rice. Stir well.
5) Cover and remove from heat and let stand for about 9 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
6) Garnish with cheddar cheese and serve. 




this recipe was adapted from this blog

0 comments:

Post a Comment