24 January 2013

Mexican Tamale Chicken Pie

I would venture to say that if you asked ten people what their idea of comfort food is, the most popular answer would be chicken pot pie, macaroni and cheese and meatloaf. I will say that, before I laid my eyes on this recipe, that those are the first things that would come to mind also. But I also love a good cornbread. 

I never thought of mexican food as comfort food. 

Until last night.

Last night, I made the most delicious comfort food that has ever come out of my kitchen. I wanted flavor, I wanted heat, I wanted sweetness....

So I began with this recipe that I found on Pinterest but I changed it up just a bit to fit our taste and to accommodate my daughters taste buds also. After all, I wasn't going to prepare a potentially life changing dish and give her kitchen scraps. LOL. After the previous night's macaroni and cheese disaster, she deserved to have something wonderful. So did Shawn and I. When I say macaroni and cheese disaster, I mean, we couldn't stand more than a few bites of the stuff and the rest of the pot went in the trash. It was gross. But I don't want to start thinking about that. Lets focus on the deliciousness of the meal I am sharing with you today.

How does a sweetly heated corn bread topped with seasoned chicken and gooey cheese sound? Sounds delicious right? I promise you, this was! 

To make this a bit more healthier, substitute with fat free milk, egg whites and a reduced fat cheese.


Mexican Tamale Chicken Pie

(photo courtesy of www.pinchofyum.com)

1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. cornmeal
1 T baking powder
2 T taco seasoning, divided
6 T unsalted butter, melted
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 c. 2% milk
1 can cream-style corn
1-4oz can chopped green chiles, drained (if you buy whole just cut them up really small)
2 c. cooked chicken breast, shredded or chopped into small bites
1/2 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
Garnishes: cilantro, light sour cream, Queso Fresco (crumbling cheese)

1) Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, 1 T. taco seasoning, butter, milk, and corn in a bowl until just combined. Add in chilies and stir a few times.

2)  Grease a glass round pie dish and pour cornbread mixture into it. Bake on 400 for 15-20 minutes, or until is just set and lightly browned on the top.

3) While cornbread is cooking, toss the chicken with the remaining taco seasoning until coated. Add more if you want.

4) When the cornbread is just done, pull it out of the oven and poke lots of holes into with a fork. Don't worry if the cornbread sticks to the fork. I sprayed my fork with cooking spray to help it not stick to the fork.

5) Pour enchilada sauce (you amy or may not use 10oz, adjust accordingly) over the holey cornbread and allow it to soak in. Top with seasoned chicken and shredded cheese and bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

6) Remove from the oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Serve garnished with fresh cut cilantro, a dollop of sour cream and queso fresco crumbled on the top of it.


Not only is it delicious, it is a beautiful dish!  Disfrute de su comida, Voy!! (enjoy your meal, ya'll)













0 comments:

Post a Comment