30 October 2012

Award Winning Apple Pie

There are a wealth of fond memories that I have from my childhood. All of them involve, in some way or another, being with family. I am one of three children, my mom one of four children, my grandmother was one of three or four children....you get the point. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas revolved around the thanks of the season, God, and gathering at my Grandma and Grandpa's home to share the joys that we had in our lives.

When my Grandmother passed away (I was in 4th grade) I started to see that she was the glue that kept our family together. Each year after that, fewer and fewer family members gathered and soon my Aunt began to host Thanksgiving at her home. It was important for that tradition to become someone else's joy but in a way, it never replaces those memories of being at Grandma and Grandpa's. But...when my Aunt took over the hosting duties one of the things that she improved was the dessert spread! I am talking 20+ pies, all different varieties, shapes, you name it. I remember one year going over early (I may have even spent the night, I'm not positive) and I was challenged with the task of helping her prepare the pies. It is a great memory that I hold dear in my heart. I'm not sure how it happened, but the following year or two my Aunt made me responsible for the Apple Pies, and I can remember what she said to this day. She said "Since everyone liked your apple pie better....". Which is NOT true. I used the same recipe that she used, I just think she wanted to pass along the task of peeling those pesky things lol.

Well....somewhere between that Thanksgiving and 8 years ago, I misplaced the recipe that I was using. Now, I know some people might say apple pie is apple pie. And in some cases, this is true. But its about having the perfect pie crust recipe, the right blend of apples, the right balance of cinnamon and sugar and just the perfect touch of love. That's what makes a great apple pie. So, once I realized that I had lost this pie recipe, I went searching for one that could hold its own. Maybe even trick people into thinking it was the same. The recipe that I found and adopted as my own was highly recommend and flaunted as a "Pie that has won hundreds of pie competitions". Really? How can you go wrong??!

I have used this recipe, with some tweaking to make it my own, for the last 8 years and really have gotten some wonderful feedback on it.

I hope that your family enjoys this Apple Pie just as much as mine does. I would LOVE to hear your feedback!
(picture courtesy of images.google.com)


Melissa's Gooey Apple Pie


1 Homemade Pie Crust (my recipe is below)
10 T. unsalted butter
3 T all-purpose flour
1/4 c. water
2/3 c. white sugar
2/3 c. dark brown sugar
3 T Apple Pie Seasoning (or use a mixture of nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon), divided
8-10 medium sized apples (I use combination of: golden delicious, granny smith, cortland, and jonagold), peeled, cored and sliced

** for any type of dish that calls for baking apples, AVOID these varieties: McIntosh, Red Delicious, and Fuji**

Homemade Pie Crust:
4 c. all purpose flour
1 3/4 c. shortening
3 T. white sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. cold water
1 egg

For the Crust:1) Combine all-purpose flour, shortening, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Blend together with a pastry cutter until crumbly.
2) In a small bowl, mix egg with water. Blend into flour mixture. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use.

For the Pie: 
(preheat oven to 425 F)

1) In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour to form a paste. I add in 1 Tablespoon at a time until a paste is made (sometimes i'll use the allotted amount, sometimes it takes more or less). Add in the white and brown sugar and water to the flour paste you've made and bring the mixture to a boil. Add in 2T of apple pie seasoning, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

2) Meanwhile, place the bottom crust into your lightly sprayed pie dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon and poke a few holes in it with a fork so that it doesn't bubble up. Bake in the 425* oven for 5-6 minutes. This will prevent the bottom crust from being too soggy when you eat it. To me this is a key step.

3) Once you've 'pre-baked' the bottom crust, fill the crust with the sliced apples and mound it.  The filling will reduce while it bakes so be generous but not over-zealous with the mounding here. Pour 2/3 of the brown sugar mixture over the sliced apples. Add your top crust, using a lattice technique. Pour the remaining mixture ERY SLOWLY over the lattice work, sprinkle with remaining apple pie spice and put into the oven. Cover the edges of the crust with a baking shield or aluminum foil. Bake for 15 minutes on 425F. Reduce the oven temperature to 350F and bake for 35-45 minutes. Remove the shield from the edges of the crust when the pie has about 15 minutes remaining on it. This will allow that crust to be cooked but not burnt.

4) Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes before slicing. You'll have better luck keeping a nice shape to the pie this way. Serve with milk or vanilla bean ice cream to take this over the top!

0 comments:

Post a Comment