21 January 2013

Lazy Day Enchilada's

I have a soft spot for Mexican food. It's not due to a vacation to Spain or Mexico, or because my family has Spanish blood. Hell...it's not even because I know how to speak Spanish. Lol.

I guess Mexican/Spanish cuisine is my favorite because of all the flavors. As you'll begin to see, I love foods that pack a lot of flavor and make my tastes buds dance! Because of the richness and complex flavors of Mexican cuisine, it inspires me. And that is why I believe it is my favorite. Rounding out my "top three favorite foods of all times list" are Italian and Lebanese.

Anyway...I love the simplicity of crock pot cooking. I was in the mood for enchilada's but wanted to do something different. So, I got to work in the kitchen and came up with an enchilada that mimicked a lasagna and called on my crock pot to help me.

I hope you enjoy this as much as my family did!

Lazy Day Enchilada's


1 lb. ground beef
1/2 medium sized red onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1- 15oz can chili beans, drained 
1-10oz can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies, drained
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
2 T cumin
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
8 whole wheat tortillas (soft taco or fajita sized)
cilantro and sour cream for garnish


1)  Turn crock pot on high.
2) In a large pan, cook beef over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3) Add in onion, peppers and garlic and sauté until beef is cooked through and onions are semi-tender.
4) Add in beans, tomatoes and all other seasonings and cook for 10 minutes.
5) Your crock pot should be up to temp. When it is, throw tortilla's under your ovens broiler (or at 400*) until they are slightly crispy. I did this because I was afraid of having soggy tortillas.
6) Put tortillas down to cover the bottom of the crock pot. Depending on the size of the crock pot you are using, this may just be one or could be 1 1/2. Just cover the bottom.
7) Spoon 1/4 of the beef mixture onto the tortilla, then cover with 1/4 of the cheese. And repeat until the top layer is the beef mixture (don't add the rest of your cheese yet).
8) Pour enchilada sauce over the beef then top with remaining cheese.
8)Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Everything is already cooked but this just helps to marry the flavors, melt the cheese, and cook those tortillas.

When ready, spoon onto plates and garnish with chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream!! Go ahead and put more of that wonderful enchilada sauce on for good measure!

(because my boyfriend and I love our enchilada sauce a bit spicy, we don't add it to the crock pot since my daughter has a more sensitive tongue. We will spoon it on our individual servings and tastes just as wonderful as it would if it was on there the whole time)



0 comments:

Post a Comment