11 February 2013

Authentic Lebanese Hummus

When it comes to food, I am big on texture. If it doesn't feel right, I have a hard time eating something. This hurdle obviously prevented me from seeing why people would crave sushi. It also had the same impact on my ability to enjoy hummus. I remember the first time I had both of these foods. I would pay to go back in time and see my face. I think it goes without saying that I was not impressed. At all. And had no desire for a 'second chance'.

It took some heavy persuasion from people that I love to try sushi and hummus again but I gave each of them a second chance. And loved them both! I guess it just takes a little time, a little recommendation, and the right chef behind them.

One of my favorite restaurants is Aladdin's Eatery. It's a local chain (I think they have 5-6 locations) that is run by a Lebanese family and really have opened my eyes to their delicious cuisine. My sister and I had taken my mom there for mother's day 4 years ago. They both go crazy for their hummus and insisted I give it a try. I wanted to make my mom and sister happy so I tried it. And I was hooked. It was a velvety smooth texture that had this wonderfully fresh taste. It was night and day from the store bought, processed hummus. In a pinch, I will buy Sabra hummus at the grocery store if I'm craving it for lunch. It does the job but definitely doesn't hold a candle to the real thing.

So one day I went searching for an authentic hummus recipe that I could make at home and be just as delicious (or close to it) as Aladdin's hummus. But there was one problem. Every time I would go looking for  tahini paste, I could never find it. I got the bright idea to look in the same section as olives and capers and VOILA it was there!!!


It is crucial to follow the directions to a "T" to get the desired outcome. It seems like a lot of work, but it's not. It just takes planning ahead. Of course you can adjust the salt, tahini and lemon but follow the process to a T.


Authentic Lebanese Hummus



1 bag of dried garbanzo beans
1 T baking soda
8 oz Tahini (sesame paste)
6-8 oz very cold lemon juice (pour over ice and shake to achieve this, and you can add very cold water too)
1 T paprika
Kosher Salt

Garnishes:
Parsley
Seedless Cucumbers
Red Bell Peppers
Roma Tomatoes
Greek Olives

Soaking:
Sort through your beans and discard any bad beans. Pour beans into a deep bowl and put twice as much water on them. And allow to soak overnight. Add more water if you noticed they start to become exposed.

Cooking:
Rinse soaked chickpeas off with ice cold water. Fill a large pot with water and add baking soda and bring  to a boil. Just like with pasta, you'll want twice as much water as volume of pasta to allow them to cook correctly. When the water comes to a rolling boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 60-90 minutes. Make sure that the water is on a soft boil the entire cooking time. 

To tell if the bean is cooked, through it against the wall. It should stick momentarily. If it does not, it is not cooked. 

Skinning the Garbanzo Bean:
One the beans have cooked, removed the pot from the stove and put it under an ice cold tap. The cold water will shock the beans and help them to crack the shell. The skins will be a clear but milky color (like jellyfish). Give the beans a stir and they will float to the top. Remove them from the water. Gently massage the beans with your band to aide in removing the skins. Strain the beans and leave them in a colander overnight in the fridge. Cover them with a plate so that they don't freeze in the fridge. This helps to drain any excess water.

Preparing the Hummus:
Place the beans in a food processor and blend until you have a smooth paste. Add in tahini until the mixture become very smooth but a little firm.

Add in the cold lemon juice a little at a time. You must use ice cold lemon juice (like iI said you can shake it over ice or add ice cold water to it). This will help keep the hummus cold while it is being blended.

Add in salt to taste and paprika. Let it rest in the food processor for about 15 minutes. If you find that it has thickened, add in more lemon juice and blend.


I serve this garnished with paprika and parsley and love it on fresh pita, tomatoes and cucumbers.


Please do not use canned chickpeas. They are too soft and the consistency you get with them is not the same as with the dried beans. The recipe will make a very generous portion of hummus. 
















1 comment:

  1. Your stuffed pepper soup is featured on Daily Dish Magazine today. Come on over and spread the word to your friends! http://www.foodiefriendsfridaydailydish.com/crock-pot-soup-recipes-2/

    ReplyDelete